27th March- Beginning the making process

Now our designs were finalised and we felt ready to begin the making process. As we were still waiting for final measurements of the performers and finalising our budget we used this time to begin the testing process. As my tin man design called for a silver effect leather jacket with rust detailing we began to think how this effect may be achieved. As we had a small amount of float money from the larger budget we purchased a dark brown leatherette bean bag for £1 to test the viability of some painting techniques. Taking sample cuts from the leatherette I used a variety of metallic spray paints, alongside browns and blues to create different effects on the fabric, emulating drips of rust and ageing metal.

I was pleased with the results of these tests, particularly the samples in which I utilised the paint dripping effect. I think the results of these samples were very effective. However as we left the samples to dry it became apparent that the spray paint was not affixing to the fabric, and over the course of a few days the paint did not dry. Doing some more research we realised that acrylic or fabric paint was more appropriate for the material however it would be more difficult to create the finish I was hoping to achieve. I will consider what course of action would be most effective for the design, changing the jacket material/style or the method in which it is coloured. One of the spray paints we used, a stone effect, dried very effectively so this might be something to consider, or using a primer beneath the paint to ensure it affixes fully.

We also began considering how we might create the flowers necessary for Little Shop of Horrors. Megan had created a test flower using Organza, by cutting circles of organza to create petals, using heat to warp the edges and create texture and then sewing them together to create a rose. We purchased various colours of organza and spent the afternoon repeating this process, although the flowers are small and will have to be paired with other designs when assembled into bouquets the effect is quite striking.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s