Razzamataz- 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th of May

3rd May- I began the process of creating the finally headpiece for the scarecrow, using what I had learnt from my test piece I created I crafted a pattern for my hood which I then cut from a loose burlap. I sewed these elements together using a quick and basic blanket stitch so I could gage how it would sit on a performers head as well as where the face whole would be most appropriately placed. When I had established all of this I completed the hood by securing it using a sewing machine stitch, leaving a gap where the mohican would slot through.

Then came time to begin the mohawk itself. As we had established that for health reasons straw could not be used and I had already tested the paper shredder and found it ineffective I elected to simply shred paper manually which I found I could do quickly using a stanley knife. I wanted to create a range of different tones to create depth within the piece that would pop on stage (this is also one of the reasons I elected to not use shredded burlap, I felt it was important for the hay to be bold and to easily differentiated from the hood). And so I painted some large sheets on thick white paper using various shades of browns and beiges. Hayley had also asked for some gold hay and so I also purchased some antique gold spray paint which I used to colour some paper. Once these were all dry I sliced them up into my hay pieces and crumpled them to add an authentic texture

Then came the time to create my actual mohawk. I began by creating a cardboard base following the curve of the mannequins head (which was roughly the size of the performers head). Then I gradually began to add my “hay” using hot glue, layering it piece by piece and attempting to create as much volume as possible. It became apparent as I was doing this that my initial estimation for the cardboard base was slightly wrong and for a more realistically mohawk shape I should have the back of the piece reaching the performers neck, and so I expanded the length of the mohawk, as well as adding more cardboard to the side to add more volume that I felt was needed.  Once I had done this I continued the long process of attaching my hay until the whole mohawk was covered creating a theatrical and effective hay illusion.

Finally I had to find a way to attach my mohawk to my burlap hood, and most importantly find a way to do this while ensuring it would stay upright on the performers head. I elected to do this by purchasing a simple plastic alice band which I hot glued to my piece. I also created a wider base to for the mohawk to sit on, again following the curve of the performers head and using cardboard. Once this was all done it was simply a case of securely gluing the mohawk and headband into position and repositioning/ attaching the burlap around it to create the effect of hay bursting through the sack.

I am very pleased with the end result as not only it it an accurate realisation of my design but it is an effective and well functioning costume piece with a thoughtful considered design. I have received much positive feedback on this piece from other group members and I think it is what we had all had in mind when envisioning the scarecrow. We did one final test in which another group member tried on the piece and moved her head and body to gage the comfort, movability and functionality of the piece. In all areas it was deemed effective and i’m proud of how its turned out.

Over the course of these days I also completed the process of distressing the shirt. Initially when the shirt was dyed green by another team member I was concerned as despite this being my intention when the item was purchased it was much more neon than I had intended and I questioned how this would fit my punk design and compliment the rich colour scheme I had be utilising. This problem was rectified by using another darker dye and so after this piece had dried I began the distressing process. I created bursts of hay using hot glue on a cloth backing which would appear coming out through slots in the shirt to create the illusion of the scarecrow being stuffed.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s